Although it's been a fact for at least eight years, it was only yesterday when I truly realized how much my special hobby means to me- Birdwatching, of course. I just simply can't get enough of birds. I watch them, i study them, i seek them out, i adore them, and I also sometimes write about them. I just don't know what i'd do without my weekly dose of birdwatching. I'm hopelessly addicted. Even when i'm locked up inside my miserable house working on a TED project, the least i can do is dream of them.
So it seems like I'm just totally hooked, but that's kind of funny now that i mentioned it, because it's only been like this for two or three years (out of my entire eight-year career). It seems like i was just a beginner for those first five years: I rarely traveled for the sole purpose of seeing birds; i had never attended any bird-sponsored events; i rarely, if ever met up with other birders; I had no clue where to find birds; and most importantly, i could not tell seagulls apart from ducks.
So i was a noob. The simple fact that i came this far in eight years is amazing. I was certainly not as crazy about birds back then as I am now. So what made me change?
Was it just one particular bird that inspired me with its jaw-dropping beauty?
Was it a particular eye-opening trip?
Was it a certain feeling that i felt within myself?
Or was it the first nature festival that i attended?
I myself am not sure of what caused this spark in my interest. Perhaps it just developed slowly at first.
Either way, i believe that my passion for birds is all part of a greater picture that defines who i am.
This previous sunday, i simply felt like i could not bear to stay inside and miss out on all the fun. The winds were blowing, birds were soaring effortlessly, and my heart could resist that irresistable temptation to go birding. The whole world of birds was just calling to me! It was adventure! Opportunity! Enlightenment! Purpose!...but mostly just fun, i guess.
My homework load for that sunday was ridiculous, however. Unsurprisingly, I did not want to do my homework. But this time, i felt a great emotion with it. I felt the dread of missing such a beautiful day that i could have otherwise spent outdoors being who i was meant to be. I dreaded this work more than ever. I dreaded it so much, that i simply forgot about my school-related concerns. No- i did not forget about them. I stamped them out, pissed on them, and shouted "F*** SCHOOL!" And so those school-related concerns just became pointless. It's like i suddenly didn't care about them. All i cared about was the opportunity outside...
ALL I CARED ABOUT THE BIRDS!!
(so yeah...maybe i got a little too carried away here. I did think carefully about my "birds vs. homework" decision at the time, but perhaps even I am still too young to grasp how important my school-provided material is. Perhaps I'm missing something....but in any case, that just proves how powerful these birds can be in my life.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment