Sunday, October 12, 2008

Blogging Around

I just have to say that I love assignments like these- I mean, Blogging Around: The name of it just sounds as fun and carefree as the actual task is. All i have to do is read and comment. It's that simple.

So anyway, the first blog I read was Mitch B's "360 degrees on God". A great argument for atheism. Mitch used alot of evidence to back up claims as to why people actually believe in God, and he also used similar evidence to prove how ridiculous the idea of God is.
Again, I don't know if it was really a 360...(maybe a 270?) but i still greatly enjoyed what Mitch had to say. Here's what I said:

Hey mitch,

I loved your rant about God, and i especially liked some of the points you brought up. Still, i'd have to agree that it was a little one-sided.You were pretty much dissing creationists for the most part, and you were using logical evidence to back up your claim- which is great for an argument, by the way.

Still, I don't really think you CAN use logical evidence to back up any claims relating to God. That's because the whole concept of god has nothing to do with logical evidence. God is part of a totally different element. Comparing the two elements is like apples to oranges, as they say.

So you've already made it clear that the idea of a God has a huge influence over our actions. Still, I believe there's some deeper meaning as to why the thought of God is so widespread and universal. It leads me to believe that the entire notion of a god is just byproduct of man's conscious thought.

I believe that the idea of a god at least brings some order to people's lives, and I'm not saying that I myself believe in it. Its just that most animals, as you see, are controlled by external factors: their environment, their predators, their food, and their instincts. Mankind, in emerging from this animal-like behavior, was thus exempt from most of these governing external forces. I think god was created because people really needed this sort of external force to control their lives. They invented god because they didn't have any other external forces to keep them in order. They needed someone to tell them what to do. And so God's role in this sense, is very similar to that of a leader's. Human beings NEED leaders. That's my point.

PS: I absolutely loved that "carrot of salvation" quote.


Another post that I read came from the other Mitch, who i know for a fact is very into politics. His post had to do with the Republican VP Candidate, Sarah Palin, and it clearly illustrated views from from four very distinct points on the political spectrum. He wrote about what the democrats may think of Palin, the republicans' opinions, the independents', and those who may have had trouble deciding who to vote for.
So, overall, i think this was a great example of a 360 degree post. Here's what i said...

Hey mitch,
I think you did a great job with a 360 degree Sarah Palin- I mean, you pretty much nailed the key concepts right then and there. As you mentioned, Palin could be interpreted as several different things: A joke, an inspiration, a threat, or a downright scary political figure.
I think you're especially right about Palin pushing some of the more indecisive, slightly leftish voters towards Obama because she is, after all, far more right-winged than McCain.
McCain himself is definitely one of the more liberal Republicans that the nation has seen, and i think that's actually pretty cool. Even for the opposing party, I thought he had some good ideas. I didn't think there was too much that was wrong with him...but that was all before Sarah Palin entered the picture.
Palin just scares me.

No comments: